Saturday, November 28, 2015

November 2015 Birchbox Canada Review and Unboxing - Beauty Subscription Box

Birchbox is the original sample beauty box and has been in the U.S.A. and earlier this year it opened a Canadian service. It is $10 a month + $4.95 shipping to Canada (you can save money by signing up for a year for $100 + shipping costs). Each month you receive 5 sample (or full size) products based on a beauty profile you complete.

Birchbox Canada describes itself as:
"Five personalized beauty samples delivered right to your door each month. It’s the best way to find the products you’ll love."

(It should be noted that if you see the U.S. Birchbox - Canadian's receive different products.) I originally signed up at the start of the year, but cancelled in June. I wasn't thrilled with all the products they were sending (a lotion and body wash per month did not seem worth it!)


Recently, Birchbox Canada has made some changes - new products and new monthly features - curated boxes and sample choice. In addition, they started offering all the special boxes that American subscribers received.

My husband offered me a subscription for my birthday present, and since I think things are looking up for Birchbox, I signed up for a year subscription.

I did miss the cut off for the November curated box or sample selection, so this is just the normal November 2015
 Birchbox Canada:

Birchbox always comes in a nicely designed box (I have used these to store samples and such because they are just so pretty!)

I'm not going to lie, I'm not super impressed at first glance, but let's take a closer look at the products included:

Temple Spa La La Lagoon Aromatic Bath & Shower Gel ~ sample size 0.84 oz for $3.02 (full size is 5 oz for $18). Our favorite getaway after a busy, jam-packed day? Our shower, of course. Infused with botanicals like mint, peppermint, and basil, this gel cleanser helps us soothe our daily stress while also softening and smoothing our skin.

I'm not thrilled that my first box back and I again receiving a shower gel. I'm not a fan of the scent either - I will use this but would not buy it again. 

Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentré (24-Hour Miracle Cream) ~ sample size 5 ml for $1.87 (full size is 75 ml for $28). Take a peek in any makeup artist’s kit and you’ll spy a well-loved tube of Embryolisse’s cult Lait-Crème Concentre. Since we’re just as picky as the pros, you’d better believe we’re fans too. This velvety moisturizer gives skin the ultimate silky finish, thanks to generous amounts of soothing shea butter and aloe vera. Plus, it doubles as a makeup remover, post-shave soother, and all-over body lotion. Who says beauty isn’t practical?

This is a highly reviewed moisturizer so I am looking forward to using it, but this is a super small sample size. 



Beauty Protector - Protect & Oil ~ sample size approx. 10 ml/3.4 oz for $2.55 (full size is 4 oz for $30). While we have no objection to following in the footsteps of our favorite trendsetters (and we often do), there are days when we relish being ahead of the curve. Which is why we leapt at the chance to try Beauty Protector’s new launch: Protect & Oil. Suitable for all hair types, this uniquely lightweight hair oil protects against UV rays and heat damage like no other elixir we’ve tried. Furthermore, our hair never feels heavy or stiff after using it. Even more gratifying than our early-adopter status? Sharing the results with all of you.

I don't use a lot of hair oil, so this isn't a great sample for me - I think I will pass this on. 

Briogeo Blossom & Bloom Volumizing Blow Dry Spray ~ sample size 1 oz for $4.51 (full size is 5.1 oz for $23). Our quick fix for sinking energy levels? A double shot of espresso. Our go-to solution for limp, lackluster strands? This follicle-stimulating spray that enhances hair’s thickness and encourages natural, healthy growth over time. From ginseng and biotin to b-vitamins and ginger root, the cruelty-free formula is packed with an energizing blend of hair-loving nutrients, plus a secret ingredient (okay, we’ll tell you: maltodextrin, a natural sugar starch) that coats each individual strand to create a fuller appearance.

I don't love that I received 2 hair products this month - I saw lots of people with good makeup samples this month! I will use this product, and I have liked the other products from Briogeo that I have tried. 



LOC (Love of Color) One & Done Shadow Stick in "On Point" ~ full size $12. We’ve spent light-years searching for a full, long-lasting eye shadow look that we can fit in the palm of our hand. Breaking news: we’ve accomplished our mission. This easy-as-could-be, paraben-free shadow stick from Birchbox brand LOC nixes the usual eye makeup hoopla (read: multiple brushes, blenders, and primers) and delivers up to 11 hours of creaseless, waterproof color—all in just one swipe. Even better, this collection of shades was handpicked by YouTube beauty star Tati Westbrook, who selected the hues she considers most on trend for fall and winter. Another bonus? Everything in the LOC line is super affordable, cruelty-free, and the perfect compact size–ideal for keeping you stylish through the season!

Love of Color is the new Birchbox brand - this is a new product just released this month! "On Point" is described as a silvery taupe. I'm not a fan of cream or shadow sticks, so this is a pretty color but I will pass it on! 

Birchbox came with 5 products (1 full size) and a total value of $23.95. This is a decent value but I'm not super impressed by any of the items this month - I thought the samples were small and the box didn't have a ton of variety.

Since getting this box I have noticed that Birchbox has added quite a few new products from some good brands - I hope this means that we will be receiving new, great products in our next month's box! Fingers crossed! 

If you want to check out my past Birchbox reviews, you can go here.

What did you think of this month's Birchbox?

No comments :

Post a Comment